Household mold is a problem as old as it is inconvenient.
It can quickly and easily become a serious problem, as well as a major health concern. Black mold is one of the most toxic types of mold, and is almost always guaranteed to cause a problem when in the home.
Luckily, knowing the signs of a mold infestation can help keep you and your family sickness-free. As Pleasanton’s best carpet cleaning service, let us explain more about mold and how it could be, potentially, causing damage to your health and that of your family’s.
Toxic black mold, also known as stachybotrys chartarum, releases spores while it feeds on organic compounds. These compounds are often used in carpet, insulation, drywall, and sub-flooring.
When they are exposed to moisture, mold is able to feed on them. The spores, when inhaled or ingested, can have detrimental effects on the human body.
Respiratory issues are the one of the most common issues that arise with prolonged or frequent exposure to toxic black mold. Respiratory distress from this type of mold includes coughing and sneezing, upper and lower respiratory infections, and asthma. In addition, it can also cause rashes, chronic fatigue, eye irritation, and persistent headaches.
In more severe cases, black mold can cause a number of more serious illnesses. For example, it can cause nausea, vomiting, and bleeding of the nose and lungs. These symptoms are often accompanied by allergic reactions such as hives.
The most common black mold symptoms and health effects are associated with a respiratory response. Chronic coughing and sneezing, irritation to the eyes, mucus membranes of the nose and throat, rashes, chronic fatigue and persistent headaches can all be symptomatic of black mold exposure or black mold poisoning.
How do I prevent mold regrowth?
Mold regrowth can be prevented by correcting any moisture problems you may have. It’s a good idea to replace porous materials that once had mold on them, as they are highly susceptible to regrowth.
What methods will not work to remove mold?
Mold will not be adequately removed by simply covering it up. This being said, painting over the mold – even after applying a biocide- will not solve the problem. The mold can and will eat through the paint.
I smell mold, but do not see it. How do I locate it?
Even the smell of mold should be enough to alert you of a potential problem. If you can’t see it but you can smell it, you may need the help of an expert to locate the problem.
What do I do if I am allergic to mold?
If you have an allergy to mold, you’ll want to try and avoid coming in contact with an excessive amount of mold spores. We say excessive because, as you may know, mold spores are naturally occurring in our everyday environment, but it’s a high amount that causes an allergy.
What are mold counts?
Mold counts are simple tests that gather the information relating to how many mold spores are in the air within a 24-hour period at a certain place.